PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car Preview Show on SPEED, Sat, 11PM EDT

Insomniac
04-05-06, 03:53 PM
With the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford season opener just days away, Champ Car and AMS Productions have collaborated to produce “Champ Car Driver,” an hour-long Champ Car season preview show which will air on SPEED, Saturday, April 9 at 11:00 p.m. EDT.
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/22918/

TKGAngel
04-05-06, 04:01 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/22918/

I think Speed means Saturday the 8th at 11p. At least that's what their on-air schedule says.

Anteater
04-06-06, 09:12 AM
Good catch, TKGAngel! The CCWS website did get it right:
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10051

cameraman
04-06-06, 01:18 PM
If follows the coverage of the Long Beach GA prototype race.

All you GA fans won't even have to change the channel....
:p

Lizzerd
04-08-06, 10:48 PM
Bump...

devilmaster
04-08-06, 11:09 PM
chat call for anyone watchin.....

nrc
04-09-06, 02:57 AM
I liked it. Lots of candid stuff with the drivers being themselves.

Andrew Longman
04-09-06, 09:45 AM
Not the most high end production but solid and well done. A puff piece without too much puff.

AJ it truly hysterical. Reminded me of watching him tip the port o potty with Justin in it at Cleveland last year.

Dominguez had great impressions for Katherine

They all had great impressions of "brother" Tags

They all made fun of Dominguez's lady moves.

Katherine could use a stylist but I don't care

They all came off a bit unpolished but authentic, which I prefer.

Stu
04-09-06, 10:09 AM

I thought she looked good considering how much time they spent on the plane.

racer2c
04-09-06, 10:24 AM
I liked it. Lots of candid stuff with the drivers being themselves.

Honestly nrc, I'm surprised to see you say that. I couldn't help thinking the entire hour I was watching what an amateurish, dragged out, somewhat embarrassing (when they got off the plane to the applause of a few kids, and the high school band and the drivers are exiting like a presidential progression). I thought the Turbo Tour could have been condensed into a 15 minute piece that would have been more polished and less exposing of what I perceive as unflattering angles of the drivers. Sure it's fine to see the off track personalities of the driver I suppose, personally I have always made my opinions of drivers based on their on track personality, not based on how much of a goofball they are in front of a camera. But I like the F1 approach where the drivers are more stoic. There was a big contrast between a seasoned vet like PT, the F1 poise of Wilson versus the clown AJ and Mario and inexperienced Katherine.

Where was a tech segment? Where were the interviews with KK about the health and mission of the series? I'm sorry, it wasn't what I expected and I'm hoping that a merged series will have the resources to produce more professional shows.

NismoZ
04-09-06, 10:49 AM
I was going to say 1/2 hr. Looked like they were forced into doing it. Good concept though, just poor execution. C-

Andrew Longman
04-09-06, 03:35 PM
I was going to say 1/2 hr. Looked like they were forced into doing it. Good concept though, just poor execution. C-

I wouldn't sweat it. No one but us fans saw it. :p

TKGAngel
04-09-06, 06:26 PM
Not the most high end production but solid and well done. A puff piece without too much puff.

AJ it truly hysterical. Reminded me of watching him tip the port o potty with Justin in it at Cleveland last year.

Dominguez had great impressions for Katherine

They all had great impressions of "brother" Tags

They all made fun of Dominguez's lady moves.

They all came off a bit unpolished but authentic, which I prefer.

I agree. If this were NASCAR, we probably would never get to see a show like this. Even the so-called candid "Drivers 360" is pretty heavily edited.

My only major complaint was that if the show had to be hosted by a chippie, couldn't it have been hosted by Bronte or Beccy Gordon, someone who actually sounds like they understand racing and have two brain cells in their head.

nrc
04-09-06, 07:05 PM
Where was a tech segment? Where were the interviews with KK about the health and mission of the series? I'm sorry, it wasn't what I expected and I'm hoping that a merged series will have the resources to produce more professional shows.

I like drivers who are fast and tenacious on the track. I like people who are interesting and have a sense of humor (or humour in Wilson's case). So if you're showing me people, show me people who are interesting and fun - not arrogant, stuck-up jerks who are afraid that cracking a smile might show weakness.

Tech segments play fine for people like you and I, but we'll watch anyway. You're not going to gain anyone's interest by focusing on tech minutia in a spec series.

As for production, I've seen too many attempts at slick, professional production just come off as lame. Until some progress is made the racing version of a travelogue is probably about the best we can expect.

I would agree that half an hour probably would have been plenty. Maybe skipping over the commercials helped.