PDA

View Full Version : David Phillips: Bourdais, Dixon and Tracy chime in

rabbit
04-05-06, 11:15 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/22917/

"Both series are struggling so bad financially, and the teams can't put programs together and the drivers aren't getting paid anymore . . . If they don't try to make it happen, it will die. I think it's very straightforward. Either we succeed at this unification or we'll all be out of jobs very soon."
"I think they always sort of thought that one or the other would die. But now you've got two people who are financially pretty strong and are never going to go away if they don't want it to. When you look at it, since they've been apart they've probably spent over a billion dollars between them trying to keep both series alive . . . for what? It's gotta stop. I think both sides are smart enough to see that, but it's a shame it's taken so long."
"It's really down to Kevin and Jerry and Tony. You really have to treat it like it's a marriage; it's got to be equitable for both, it's got to be equal for both, and you can't go into it saying, "We're going to have a pre-nup set up and I'm going to get all of this and you're going to get that.' It can't be 60/40 or 80/20. It's got to be fair for everybody. I think that's the only way it's going to work. I think that they're trying to make that happen. There's a lot of outside influences of people trying to put their opinion on what they think it should be, but ultimately it's down to them."

rabbit
04-05-06, 11:21 AM
Not to derail my own thread, but I didn't see the need for a second thread... but...

This line by Phillips brought something to mind that I have thought about before...
Race teams and manufacturers (both engine and chassis) have substantial investments in similar but incompatible equipment. Now I'm no techno-wiz, but I keep wondering, what is there to stop a unified series from adopting both sets of chassis/engine specs and allowing the cars to race side-by-side on the same track, at least for a temporary transitional period? I know the IRL cars are a blight to race car design in many ways. But it seems to me that allowing both cars would simplify the transition to a single series.

:braces for backlash:

racer2c
04-05-06, 11:28 AM
The sponsorship hardship is obvious. If I had a dollar for everytime I've read a quote from a sponsor that they are only interested in a unified series...
Now there are more blank sidepods than there ever has been in the past twenty years.

No title sponsor news, major teams struggling to fill the sidepods, NASCAR ladder series bigger than the IRL/CCWS combined...yes, the time is now. Duh.

and I want Spicoli's race back! :)

extramundane
04-05-06, 11:45 AM
Now I'm no techno-wiz, but I keep wondering, what is there to stop a unified series from adopting both sets of chassis/engine specs and allowing the cars to race side-by-side on the same track, at least for a temporary transitional period?

Because equivalency formulas are teh suck

Al Czervik
04-05-06, 11:51 AM
Not to derail my own thread, but I didn't see the need for a second thread... but...

This line by Phillips brought something to mind that I have thought about before... Now I'm no techno-wiz, but I keep wondering, what is there to stop a unified series from adopting both sets of chassis/engine specs and allowing the cars to race side-by-side on the same track, at least for a temporary transitional period? I know the IRL cars are a blight to race car design in many ways. But it seems to me that allowing both cars would simplify the transition to a single series.

:braces for backlash:

1.) Equivelancy (sp??) formulas have never worked in the past. I see no reason why this one would.

2.) Both series equipment is getting long-in-the-tooth. If you need new, might as well make it the DP-01.

3.) Bridgestone / Firestone would be put in a bind trying to make 1 tire work for 2 different engine / tire formulas. Maybe not so a big a deal on a street circuit, potentially huge on a big oval.

extramundane
04-05-06, 12:52 PM
3.) Bridgestone / Firestone would be put in a bind trying to make 1 tire work for 2 different engine / tire formulas. Maybe not so a big a deal on a street circuit, potentially huge on a big oval.

No problem, they'll just use spec Hoosiers. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
04-05-06, 01:02 PM
Or they could have ChampCar900 and IndyCar675 :gomer: ;)

extramundane
04-05-06, 02:15 PM
Or they could have ChampCar900 and IndyCar675 :gomer: ;)

But will they make the IndyCar675 class use 5-lug wheels and start 30 seconds after CC900? :gomer: :D

tantra
04-05-06, 11:43 PM
The split has gone on too long? Heck, it's only been ten (10) years.

Sure, run the CC900 and the IRL675 as two classes, just like ALMS, then see how quickly and loudly all the defectors beg for some equipment to compete like they used to in their younger, more macho days.

Seriously, it looks likes it's finally going to happen (getting together and being all warm and fuzzy friends again), because it needs to happen. If it doesn't, I think OW at this level just peter-out before I do.

I, for one, wouldn't like that to happen, as I have enjoyed watching the 'big kids' run in AAA/USAC/CART/CCWS for more than half a century. I realize many here on the forum have sort of 'grown up' in one of the two 'armies', in this ten-year war, but things really do need to get resolved soon.

I would hate to be left with nothing to 'spectate' but races Jim Trueman's daughter manages to bring to her Mid-Ohio.

Lizzerd
04-05-06, 11:54 PM
Holy crap. O' Gorman has an original thought. And one I would agree with, too. :thumbup: to you, Sean.

Screw it. Unify and start 30-something cars. DP01's in one class, and whatever Earl races in the other. Two winners, two podiums. Like tantra said, it's not like it doesn't happen already elsewhere in racing. I would stiill opt for Earl to die and CC reign supreme again, though.

devilmaster
04-06-06, 02:21 AM
Holy crap. O' Gorman has an original thought. And one I would agree with, too. :thumbup: to you, Sean.

Great. :shakehead Thats gonna go to his head.

Sean O'Gorman
04-06-06, 07:21 AM
Don't worry, it was completely not a serious suggestion. Only a totally incompetant organization would have two classes of cars with similar performance and award two different winners. :gomer:

mueber
04-06-06, 07:55 AM
From Phillips:
Given a reasonable amount of give and take, tempered with trust and resolve, both parties can profit and go forward in the new union.

Aye, there's the rub, that Trust word. No matter how this is structured, that is the stumbling block that has to be overcome.

extramundane
04-06-06, 03:05 PM
Don't worry, it was completely not a serious suggestion. Only a totally incompetant organization would have two classes of cars with similar performance and award two different winners. :gomer:

Lord grant me the serenity to not hijack this thread... ;)