PDA

View Full Version : Gascoyne Gone!

Fried
04-04-06, 04:53 PM
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16632.html

the six million dollal man couldn't cut it. :rofl: i guess he couldn't fire the drivers.

shame, really. :D

Dirty Sanchez
04-04-06, 05:01 PM
oh yes, this will be fun... a bitter da Matta fan comes back with an axe to grind... :gomer:

this proves what exactly? all indications are that he wants to spend time with his family in the UK where he has three young children. I would not be surprised to see him announced as technical director at McLaren.

if you want to talk about how the mighty have fallen, we should talk about da Matta. from F1 to Coyne in 2 years :rofl: :eek:

cameraman
04-04-06, 05:11 PM
this proves what exactly?

That Toyota sucks.

Fried
04-04-06, 05:12 PM
oh yes, this will be fun... a bitter da Matta fan comes back with an axe to grind...

this proves what exactly? all indications are that he wants to spend time with his family in the UK where he has three young children. I would not be surprised to see him announced as technical director at McLaren.

if you want to talk about how the mighty have fallen, we should talk about da Matta. from F1 to Coyne in 2 years :rofl: :eek: :saywhat:
so what do you think of gascoyne, crapus? or would you rather discuss me and his ex drivers? :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
04-04-06, 06:25 PM
I think his record speaks for itself... responsible for the greatest Jordan ever... and laid the groundwork for Renault's very successful assault on F1. also achieved Toyota's stated goals up to this point. the "he couldn't cut it" remark is unwarranted as we do not have specifics (from either side). it is commonly known that he is not too happy with working in Cologne while trying to raise a family in the UK. its also commonly known that should the right opportunity arise, he might consider a career move back to the UK. such a vacancy currently exists at McLaren... another fact.

fanboy with an agenda=:gomer:

Fried
04-04-06, 06:36 PM
I think his record speaks for itself... responsible for the greatest Jordan ever... and laid the groundwork for Renault's very successful assault on F1. also achieved Toyota's stated goals up to this point. the "he couldn't cut it" remark is unwarranted as we do not have specifics (from either side). it is commonly known that he is not too happy with working in Cologne while trying to raise a family in the UK. its also commonly known that should the right opportunity arise, he might consider a career move back to the UK. such a vacancy currently exists at McLaren... another fact.

fanboy with an agenda=:gomer:well, you almost got 'er done without the personal comment... :thumbup: progress is progress nonetheless.

so, he quit mid-season to spend time with his family? that makes sense. :laugh:

hey, crapus: i live in nyc. it is well known that i would accept a million dollar salary to work for nbc. such a vacancy exists at nbc...i'm the next morning anchor for the "today" show.

here's some real facts: he had the highest salary of any td in f1. he hand-selected his driver tandem. he selected his own staff and design team. he failed. he is fired...guess there must be something wrong with the tf106...

jonovision_man
04-04-06, 06:40 PM
Autosport:

Despite scoring a podium at the Australian Grand Prix, Gascoyne has had a strained relationship with senior team management, which intensified following their troubled start to the season.

Furthermore, a senior official at Toyota Motor Company suggested recently that the company is looking for a replacement for Gascoyne, and once a new technical director was found, the Briton would be released.

Gascoyne's contract was up for renewal in the next few months, and the Briton apparently was not eager to remain at the Cologne-based outfit. However, the option to renew the contract or termintate it was entirely on Toyota's side.

jono

Dirty Sanchez
04-04-06, 06:53 PM
you need a fact checker, fanboy :laugh:

newey is being paid more at RBR. fact. 0 fer 1. there is nothing wrong with his driver tandem. are they alonso/fisichella or raikkonen/montoya? no... but they are a dramatic improvement over any previous driver pairing at toyota. 0 fer 2. who are his hand selected design staff? can you name them? are you telling me that he personally hired everyone at toyota who is involved in designing the car? or could it be that he clashed with some senior bean counter that knows nothing about running a racing team (as suggested in the article)... 0 fer 3 :gomer:

and finally, he is not fired... he has departed the team according to the article you linked. 0 fer 4 :thumdown:

toyota's stated goals last year were to achieve a podium and regularly score points. they achieved that. this year they aimed at the top step. less likely, imo, given what we've seen so far. but we've seen other teams come up far shorter of their stated goals. the timing suggests (after only 3 races and a podium finish in the last one) that this is not a performance based decision... I would not be surprised if he already has another job in the UK... close to home.

honestly, you should maybe take this BS back to paperwagon... I read that the crappies think this signals toyota's pull out of F1. what a bunch of tards :laugh:

Spicoli
04-04-06, 06:59 PM
More proof that Crapus is an equal opportunity hater. :thumbup:

:D

emjaya
04-04-06, 07:35 PM
just another in a series of bad moves by Toyota,imho. :shakehead

:)

Fried
04-04-06, 08:41 PM
you need a fact checker, fanboy :laugh:

newey is being paid more at RBR. this is scoring points in your world?
there is nothing wrong with his driver tandem. yes. one driver who fades in races and another who was beaten senselessly by same driver last season. nothing wrong. do you read "f1racing" magazine. check out their season preview. i put more stock in their expert opinions than yours. sorry.
2. who are his hand selected design staff? can you name them? are you telling me that he personally hired everyone at toyota who is involved in designing the car?he was the head man and he had full rein. do you dispute this?
or could it be that he clashed with some senior bean counter that knows nothing about running a racing team (as suggested in the article)... 0 fer 3 did you post this before seeing jono's link? this thing has an edit feature. you might want to familiarize yourself with it.
and finally, he is not fired... he has departed the team according to the article you linked. 0 fer 4 "a senior official at Toyota Motor Company suggested recently that the company is looking for a replacement for Gascoyne, and once a new technical director was found, the Briton would be released"so what about that is not clear to you?

toyota's stated goals last year were to achieve a podium and regularly score points. they achieved that.a podium in a lottery race. and utter failure in the season opener. :laugh: who writes your material?

honestly, you should maybe take this BS back to paperwagon... I read that the crappies think this signals toyota's pull out of F1. what a bunch of tardsthe inevitable off-topic personal reference... :shakehead and, you were making so much progress with your previous post...

Cam
04-04-06, 09:40 PM
Cool meltdown! :laugh:

eiregosod
04-04-06, 10:15 PM
I dont think that the David Coulthard of F1 Technical directors went to Malaysia. he was busy in Cologne updating the Yoda. :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
04-04-06, 11:22 PM
you set 'em up and I'll knock 'em down fanboy. I have no intention of wasting my time quoting each line however...

scoring points in my world? :laugh: just pointing out that one of your facts isn't really a fact. newey makes more money. salaries are something that you brought up, champ (for what purpose I do not really know). forgive me for correcting your "facts" however.

your subsequent opinion of ralf and jarno has no bearing on the discussion. the facts prove that they are the best pairing toyota have ever had. this is indisputable.

I do dispute your assertion that gascoyne had full rein at toyota. ok, he is the technical director... but the buck does not stop there. especially if there is potential disagreement between himself and other unnamed "senior management" types. more information is needed to have a greater understanding here. but regardless of that... toyota have enjoyed greater success under him than at any previous point in time. another fact.

your ambigious quote from unnamed senior management is not proof that gascoyne was fired. they would have to look for a replacement if he left on his own terms, found another job, wanted to spend more time with his family, etc. that simply is not evidence that he was fired. it is just evidence that he has "departed from the team" (as indicated in your original article). in the absence of that proof you continue to be guilty of talking out of your ass...

and you've obviously misunderstood something with this comment. "a podium in a lottery race. and utter failure in the season opener. who writes your material?" I was referring to last year. again (for the bitter da Matta fan) their stated goal, in 2005, according to Tstutomu Tomita: "It is to score a point every weekend with consistency through the season. And, if possible, of course we want to be on the podium if circumstances allow." Do I have to remind you that they scored in 17 or 19 races last year and scored 5 podiums? :gomer: you mentioned the edit feature? :rofl:

sorry for the paperwagon reference... but your gonzo-esque facts and arguments won't fly here :thumdown:

Dirty Sanchez
04-04-06, 11:38 PM
and since you seem so keen on quoting F1Racing's season preview issue... :laugh:

Pat Symonds: "Well, they've done some very strange things, such as their determination to get on the front row via dreadful fuel strategies. That was puzzling. You find yourself asking yourself who's running the team: is it being run by politicians? If it is, then it won't succeed" :gomer:

Fried
04-05-06, 09:32 AM
it's official, yoda have suspended gascoyne. in all likelihood because terminating him would be more expensive than "sitting him down"... [awaits crapus' comments that a "suspension is not a termination"]... :laugh:

crapus: trick question: if i say "you don't have to go home, but you definitely got to get the heck out of here"...have i kicked you out of my bar? :rofl:

Fried
04-05-06, 09:33 AM
it's official, yoda have suspended gascoyne. in all likelihood because terminating him would be more expensive than "sitting him down"... [awaits crapus' comments that a "suspension is not a termination"]... :laugh:

crapus: trick question: if i say "you don't have to go home, but you definitely got to get the heck out of here"...have i kicked you out of my bar? :rofl:

oh, let me save you the trouble: fanboy + damatta =:gomer:. there, now you don't have to bother with the personal comments.

Dirty Sanchez
04-05-06, 09:52 AM
indeed... suspension does not equal termination. nice backpeddle...

having already slam dunked toyota's 2005 goals/achievements... I think it would be useful to put toyota's 2006 results into context. first off, having finished 4th in the constructor's championship last year, they no longer have the benefit of friday testing and data. we've seen teams, most notably honda, struggle mightily after losing this advantage. we've also seen them bounce back quite nicely after a year. second major point is that toyota have switched to bridgestone this year (another huge adjustment)... this was done against gascoyne's advice, btw ;)

Gascoyne: No Bridgestone Switch

Tuesday, July 26th 2005, 09:08 GMT

Toyota's technical director Mike Gascoyne has hinted the Japanese squad will remain with Michelin next season despite claims that a decision has not yet been made.

Toyota are one of seven teams currently using Michelin tyres, and paddock rumours have indicated the Cologne-based squad could be considering a switch to Bridgestone for the 2006 season.

A spokesman for the team told Autosport-Atlas last week they were still considering their options.

"We are looking at our options for 2006," he said. "Both Bridgestone and Michelin companies are important to the Toyota corporation. So discussions of whatever level have taken place in the past also concerning the F1 project.

"However, we have not made a decision for 2006 yet."

Michelin has revealed it wants to cut back on the number of teams it supplies, while Bridgestone said it would be happy to have another customer.

The Japanese company supplies to three teams, but only Ferrari carry out real development work while Minardi and Jordan hardly test.

But with Michelin tyres having won all but one of this year's races, Gascoyne believes the decision for next year is a no-brainer.

"If you look at what is happening currently, it is quite clear which tyre brand you must have," said Gascoyne.

Toyota's contract with Michelin expires at the end of the season.to expect them to come to grips with these tires immediately is also a bit of a stretch isn't it? especially when you consider that the TF106 is an evolutionary design of a car that ran on Michelin tires :cool:

smart money says that the ultimate call to switch to Bridgestones did not come from Gascoyne. which further deflates the notion that he had "full reign" as you suggested earlier.

now you could make the case that the decision to switch now will put them in a better position for 2007 when bridgestone is the sole tire supplier but then you are basically admitting that 2006 is a bit of a throwaway year and are essentially lowering expectations. I'd say an early (even flukey) podium under these circumstances is pretty remarkable :thumbup:

what else ya got fanboy?

from F1 to a KKbucks Coyne car in 2 years :rofl:

Fried
04-05-06, 10:07 AM
crapus, the beauy of the deal is that you don't understand the reality of his termination. they kept damatta, too. they just didn't let him drive the car. they're keeping gascoyne. they're just not letting him in the building... :laugh:

crapus logic :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
04-05-06, 10:10 AM
not bad for a crappy :gomer:

but honestly, I didn't expect you to have a response to the rest of my post... or from the one last night :thumbup:

Tony George
04-05-06, 11:33 AM
Maybe Gascoyne quit/was fired so he could work for Coyne. :gomer:

Cam
04-05-06, 11:47 AM
Maybe Gascoyne quit/was fired so he could work for Coyne. :gomer:

Nahhhh..... He is one of the 22 that submitted an entry for 2008. :p

Easy
04-05-06, 12:00 PM
No, he's going to start his own Champ Car team like Paul Stoddart.

Ankf00
04-05-06, 12:35 PM
: popcorn:

Spicoli
04-05-06, 03:24 PM
Feel the HATE. :p

Grunschev
04-05-06, 05:49 PM
I didn't figure he'd survive the season, but I'm a bit surprised it happened so quickly. It's clear to me he's past his sell-by date. That doesn't mean he didn't do great stuff earlier in his career, though.

Igor

cameraman
04-06-06, 04:15 PM
"Due to a fundamental difference of opinion with regard to the technical operations of its F1 team, Toyota Motorsport has suspended its Technical Director Chassis, Mike Gascoyne, until further notice,"

“Toyota and Gascoyne had developed different opinions about the future direction of the technical operations in the team's chassis and engineering areas, which resulted in the need for a change on both sides. Toyota Motorsport and Gascoyne agreed that a separation had become necessary”

He stays on the payroll for six months - the longest they can contractually keep him - to prevent him from working for another team in 2006. In October he is unemployed.

That is how you fire an individual in 2006.

oddlycalm
04-07-06, 03:16 PM
smart money says that the ultimate call to switch to Bridgestones did not come from Gascoyne. which further deflates the notion that he had "full reign" as you suggested earlier. Right, and smart money also says the tire decision was likely where the friction between Gascoyne and the top Japanese executive came from. When Gascoyne was proved right during the first two races the Japanese executive lost face the only possible decisions for him were a) fall-on-sword time, or b) ditch Gascoyne. Plan B is a lot easier to take.

You're right about the "full reign" thing of course. The chances of a Japanese company giving any gaijin, regardless of pay grade, full reign are historically zero. Why would they give someone of a race they consider inherently inferior full reign?

oc