PDA

View Full Version : Newman on Leno Thursday night

cameraman
04-04-06, 04:10 PM
Leno is flogging a rematch of the kart race he had last year with Paul Newman.

They even have a web site (http://nbcpublish.console.net/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/paul_newman/poll.shtml) for the kart race.

It is the 2nd Annual Tonight Show Grand Prix.

One would hope that somebody will at least mention LB. :shakehead

There is absolutely no mention of the Long Beach race on any NBC or MSNBC web site.

Is it really worth the expense to buy time on NBC if the only people who know about are Champ Car fans who would find the race no matter what channel ran it?

dando
04-04-06, 04:32 PM
Leno is flogging a rematch of the kart race he had last year with Paul Newman.

They even have a web site (http://nbcpublish.console.net/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/paul_newman/poll.shtml) for the kart race.

It is the 2nd Annual Tonight Show Grand Prix.

One would hope that somebody will at least mention LB. :shakehead

There is absolutely no mention of the Long Beach race on any NBC or MSNBC web site.

Is it really worth the expense to buy time on NBC if the only people who know about are Champ Car fans who would find the race no matter what channel ran it?

On the positive side I'll wager that PLN talks about LBGP and CCWS extensively, and there have been promos for the race during AFL and NHL games.

I wouldn't expect NBC to break their backs trying to promote a two race time buy, especially considering their investmemt in cabs, but one would think they could @ least reference the series properly:

CHAMP
• 2006 Champ Car schedule, standings
• CHAMP race results, other news

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032830/

:saywhat:

Ya gotta love them featuring the EARL and Lance driving the pace car, as well as the Danicle feature. :shakehead

-Kevin

gpflepsen
04-04-06, 06:06 PM
I predict PLN will talk about Cars. Not champ cars, but the upcoming movie.

Now show me wrong, Paul.

cameraman
04-04-06, 06:23 PM
That is a little bit on the early side as Cars opens on June 9 but anything is possible.

Last year Leno managed to step on Paul's plug for the race.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the race gets a full on plug.
They ought to at least run a commercial at the break.

Insomniac
04-05-06, 09:19 AM

They should also buy more promotion then. NBC isn't making money dependent on viewers and isn't going to heavily promote it. There is probably some tit for tat promotion.

G.
04-07-06, 12:28 AM
Newman beats Leno again. That was fun to watch. Paul even ate "his own" dogfood. :laugh:

It looked like Jay was sandbagging, but that's ok. It was cool!

Drifting in the G-Kart, sippin on gin and juice. :thumbup:

pchall
04-07-06, 08:09 AM
BTW, Leno did bring up the LBGP and PLN talked about it's history in glowing (if slightly innaccutate) terms.

dando
04-07-06, 02:19 PM
BTW, Leno did bring up the LBGP and PLN talked about it's history in glowing (if slightly innaccutate) terms.
:thumbup: PLN

He's not what he once was mentally, he's still aces in my book.

-Kevin

theunions
04-11-06, 03:48 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this...but wasn't this segment actually a rerun??? I could've sworn I saw this entire segment, including the dog food eating part, several months back (whereas the rest of the show looked new - i.e., the actress following him was talking about a film coming out that weekend - I happened to tune in during PLN so can't comment on the monologue, etc.)...???