PDA

View Full Version : Against my better judgement...

rabbit
04-04-06, 01:41 PM
... I am posting this here in a "racing" forum. :shakehead

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/22906/

Perhaps many of the so-called auto racing experts will still shake their heads and speak vehemently of the harm that drifting will cause their world – the same world in which we have rival, increasingly irrelevant, open-wheel racing series. A world in which the politics takes away from the racing. Not away from
the show; the racing.

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/medium/100975_efr1.jpg
"It's not just all about cars at Formula Drift events. (Phillip Royle photo)"

racer2c
04-04-06, 01:42 PM
Drifting is to racing like rap is to music.

Easy
04-04-06, 02:08 PM

A product white suburbanites are interested in?

Fio1
04-04-06, 02:30 PM

Exactly! It has it's place in 'motorsport' but it is not racing by any means. It's fun to watch once in a while, and fun to do, but come on.... :saywhat:

Insomniac
04-04-06, 02:50 PM

Which just means it's completely subjective. The 2 best albums last year were rap albums. So your tastes don't match up with the rest of America. Some people who like racing may also like drifting. Hopefully people who like drifting will also like other things like racing.

racer2c
04-04-06, 02:54 PM
Which just means it's completely subjective. The 2 best albums last year were rap albums. So your tastes don't match up with the rest of America. Some people who like racing may also like drifting. Hopefully people who like drifting will also like other things like racing.

Where does it say I don't like rap or drifting for that matter.

Oh, I guess since Budwieser outsells all other brands combined it's the best. Same with NASCAR.

Thank goodness the oscars isn't a poularity contest...hey wait a second!

Cam
04-04-06, 02:54 PM

Or you could say it is like what karaoke is to music. :D

Dr. Corkski
04-04-06, 03:21 PM
Drifting is to racing like ccf is to racing forums.

pchall
04-04-06, 04:17 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/medium/100975_efr1.jpg
"It's not just all about cars at Formula Drift events. (Phillip Royle photo)"

So, who can detect how Racer photoshopped that picture? ;)

BTW, does Racer even cover formula car racing in the US anymore. I let my sub drop ages ago and haven't seen a cover that indicated I should buy a single copy for a good read.

NismoZ
04-04-06, 04:32 PM
Uh, huh, "Two best" as in what? Highest selling? Gee, NASCAR is the BEST racing, then? Sorry. Popularity has never meant best. Just look at some of those idiots in your high school class! Drifting is to racing what WWF was to wrestling. :shakehead (I think drifting should be MADE into racing, like the horses that rip around those barrels. A combo of great acceleration, solid braking, hairpin turns of 360+, a closed course and TIMED, nothing to judge! Drift Racing. :thumbup: )

NismoZ
04-04-06, 04:35 PM
And...scantily clad beautiful women are to drifting as they are to ANY form of motorsport. The profits! (and beer)

Accipiter
04-04-06, 04:48 PM
Drifting is to Racing what Figure Skating is to Hockey.

RacinM3
04-04-06, 05:02 PM
I'd rather have drifting as a support act to give the fans their entertainment, followed up by a real race, than to have the racing falsely injected with "entertainment", like some other series (coughNASCARcough, coughIRLcough).

Think about it.

Ankf00
04-04-06, 05:15 PM
b... b... but I thought MotoRock was supposed to be the next big thing?!? :cry:

emjaya
04-04-06, 07:48 PM
I used to work for a tyre company,so the smell of burning rubber does nothing for me.

“I’ve seen better drifting in sprint car races.

same here.

:)

Sean O'Gorman
04-04-06, 07:51 PM
I could post a rant about how drifting sucks, but it isn't necessary anymore. Once Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift comes out this summer, all the existing drifting fans will be complaining about their sport being turned into a joke by the new fans. And then I can laugh.

nrc
04-04-06, 09:24 PM
Drifting is to racing as half-pipe snow-boarding is to downhill skiing.

RusH
04-04-06, 11:14 PM
Drifting......needs more cowbell.

Dr. Corkski
04-04-06, 11:19 PM
Drifting......needs more cowbell.http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/3856/120lo.gif

RusH
04-04-06, 11:26 PM
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/3856/120lo.gif

:laugh:

a keeper

Insomniac
04-05-06, 09:25 AM
Where does it say I don't like rap or drifting for that matter.

Oh, I guess since Budwieser outsells all other brands combined it's the best. Same with NASCAR.

Thank goodness the oscars isn't a poularity contest...hey wait a second!

Then I mis-read your analogy. I thought you were saying rap is just as much music as drifting is racing, in a negative way. i.e. rap isn't "music". So I was saying, lots of consumers disagree, even though you don't consider it music. (Which isn't true.) Wasn't a question of it being the best or not.

Insomniac
04-05-06, 09:29 AM
Uh, huh, "Two best" as in what? Highest selling? Gee, NASCAR is the BEST racing, then? Sorry. Popularity has never meant best. Just look at some of those idiots in your high school class! Drifting is to racing what WWF was to wrestling. :shakehead (I think drifting should be MADE into racing, like the horses that rip around those barrels. A combo of great acceleration, solid braking, hairpin turns of 360+, a closed course and TIMED, nothing to judge! Drift Racing. :thumbup: )

I wasn't saying that. All I was saying is that is even though most of us on this forum don't consider it racing, doesn't mean others don't. And this was more in the context of including drifting during a Champ Car event than just drifting in general.

NismoZ
04-05-06, 05:36 PM
Gotcha! Lots of dumb people out there. Just glad we aren't two of 'em! ;)