PDA

View Full Version : GPL (cont)

rabbit
04-01-03, 02:55 PM
Man, I have got to get a wheel! I'm getting carpal tunnel from playing using the keyboard. I'm having a blast though. I've been racing just at Monza until I can get more used to the cars and the game itself. I set my fastest lap at Monza last night with a 1:48 in the Ferrari. One thing that impresses me about the game is how completely different the various cars drive. So far, the Ferrari seems to suit my driving style the best. I was running mid-1:50s in the Lotus. The Eagle I couldn't even keep on the track. It had wicked oversteer. I'm no engineer by any stretch so playing with setups will have to come later. But the Ferrari seems to have a good baseline for me. Plus it's definitely the best sounding one of the bunch!

mnkywrch
04-01-03, 03:04 PM
You're playing it with the keyboard?

:eek:

Didn't know that was possible. A braver man than I...

Yeah, a wheel will help big.

Try Alison Hine's (http://eaglewoman.simracing.dk/gpl/setups.htm) setups, they may be a good starting point.

Or, if you're lazy like me, good enough to race with.

Warlock!
04-01-03, 03:29 PM
Again, with the keyboard? You'll be surprised how fast a 1:48 lap at monza using a keyboard will turn into a sub-1:40 lap with a wheel. Probably like... oh, I dunno... about 2 laps! Heck, I have an old Thrustmaster wheel I can GIVE ya if you want. No pedals, but it's got analog butterfly levers for gas & brake, plus buttons for shifting. Been on the shelf for over 3 years. You owe it to yourself (and the game) to get the wheel.

And yes, allison has some great setups for all skill levels.

Warlock!

JoeBob
04-01-03, 03:45 PM
Comp USA has the Logitech Momo wheel on sale for $69.99 if you bring this ad with you to the store (and they have it in stock) http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/html_ad/default.asp

None of the stores near me have it in stock (you can check online)

JT265
04-01-03, 03:50 PM
1:48 at Monza?

Finally, someone for Warlock to race with!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Warlock!
04-01-03, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by JT265
1:48 at Monza?

Finally, someone for Warlock to race with!!!!!!!!:D :D :D
Man... the guy grows up close to Mosport, races a few cars in his day, takes advantage of a drunk guy in an Eagle at the Glen (while driving a Lotus, no less!!!), and suddenly he's Mr. SimRacer...

The gall... :rolleyes:

;)

Warlock!

mnkywrch
04-01-03, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Comp USA has the Logitech Momo wheel on sale for $69.99 if you bring this ad with you to the store (and they have it in stock) http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/html_ad/default.asp

I hate to be the person who ruins the Corn Flakes, but this is the "new" version of the Momo that has more in common with the MSFF wheel than the "original", widely praised, wheel.

The difference?

The original wheel had a system of belts inside, which feels much smoother than the gears used by the new wheel.

But it beats the keyboard, for sure. I'd check on Ebay for the "original" Momo wheel or the "original" LWFF wheel.

With Logitech, "new" sure seems to mean less quality for less money!

mnkywrch
04-01-03, 05:10 PM
With all this smack talk, it may be time for another GPL throwdown.

RacinM3
04-01-03, 08:10 PM
bring it, beeeotches. :p

JT265
04-02-03, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Man... the guy grows up close to Mosport, races a few cars in his day, takes advantage of a drunk guy in an Eagle at the Glen (while driving a Lotus, no less!!!), and suddenly he's Mr. SimRacer...

The gall... :rolleyes:

;)

Warlock!

:rofl: :thumbup:

Foxman
04-02-03, 03:09 PM
Don't make me have to join in and smoke all of you :D

RacinM3
04-02-03, 04:14 PM
OK, so when's the smack gonna stop and everyone commit to running. I race almost every night, at least one race, so just say when......this weekend??

nz_climber
04-03-03, 05:08 AM
thats wat i need a wheel .. stupid key board!! I might have to get GPL and play with you guys its only about $10 dollars(easier to buy it than try and download it with dialup!!)

RacinM3
04-03-03, 05:11 PM
I think if we all hook up and go that fox should have to drive the Cooper or the BRM.

No Lotus for you!!;)

Foxman
04-04-03, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately I probably won't be around this weekend. Heck, I haven't even run GPL since November!! Thats ok, it won't take me too many laps to find the groove again. I do have a better DSL connection now, so maybe at some point I can host some races.

Fox

rabbit
04-04-03, 11:36 AM
Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of one of our members (I won't name him, but he likes beer and snow and now only has one steering wheel), I will be slashing my lap times dramatically in the near future. That's right, someday I will be fighting with Camathias and Lavin for position. :gomer:

So give me a little time to get acclimated to my new toy and I'll join you. Now I just need somebody to show me how to get setup so I can race online. :gomer:

mapguy
04-04-03, 02:11 PM
Man, you guys are real wankers. I can do a 1:40 flat using a joystick and a Brabham at Monza. I could have gone faster but I was wearing my pants.

Just wait until I get a wheel. I'll turn you all into a bunch of simpering Yoongs.

JT265
04-04-03, 03:05 PM
mapster,

The pace car is in the low '40's at Monza.

Keep digging, Mr Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. :D

BTW- If the Fox don't chop ya, you can usually run away from the field at Monza in a Lotus. :D BUT, if you REALLY want sum fun, grab the engine changer and put a Cosworth in the Brab and run Monza. 208 on the straights, waaaaaaay cool. :cool:

mapguy
04-04-03, 03:14 PM
Looks like I got JT shaking in his booties.

1:40 with a stick. You just know I can chop 10 seconds off of that with a ff wheel. When I get one I'll be putting you on the trailer after quallies while you and Foyt IV, mnky and that fruity-cupper who drives that M3 can be making excuses for sucking canal water.

BTW. I ain't afraid of getting chopped by Foxy. I am 1-1 racing against him. He can't chop me if I use the chrome-horn first!

Engine changer? Do tell....

mnkywrch
04-04-03, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
1:40 with a stick. You just know I can chop 10 seconds off of that with a ff wheel. When I get one I'll be putting you on the trailer after quallies while you and Foyt IV, mnky and that fruity-cupper who drives that M3 can be making excuses for sucking canal water.

I took three months off GPL and broke 1:30 at Monza in the Ferrari on my fourth lap back, which is about as aerodynamically efficient as Jimmy Spencer.

So there.

Yeah, yeah... Monza's easy. But gimme some credit! :D

Engine changer? Do tell....

Try http://www.manau.force9.co.uk/GEM+/

I've got a much simpler version I can pass on too, if you want it.

RacinM3
04-04-03, 04:08 PM
Keep talking , ladies.

I'm still waiting for the date when I'll be blown into the weeds.

Allegedly.:p

RacinM3
04-04-03, 04:12 PM
Oh, and mapguy, a 1:30 at Monza just means it'd take me 35 laps to put you one lap down!;)

mapguy
04-04-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch

Try http://www.manau.force9.co.uk/GEM+/

I've got a much simpler version I can pass on too, if you want it.

Downloaded it and installed it but nothing seems to happen when I run it. Do I have to have GPL running? Everything seems to be greyed out.

RacinM3: Just you wait until I get a wheel. If you want to race before that time then look out. I'll jump the start and give you all the chrome horn. I'll still be ahead after my stop and go.

mnkywrch
04-04-03, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Downloaded it and installed it but nothing seems to happen when I run it. Do I have to have GPL running? Everything seems to be greyed out.

Do you have to point it to your GPL.exe file?

I'll try to dig up what I've got.

RacinM3
04-04-03, 08:11 PM
I'll jump the start and give you all the chrome horn. I'll still be ahead after my stop and go

LOL!! Not in online racing , you won't. Sheesh, you so much as barely tap a car there and it ends up in a total fireball yard sale of a wreck!!!:laugh:

rabbit
04-08-03, 04:16 PM
Woohoo! I got my wheel! Thanks Warlock! I just had a little time last night to try to get a feel for it, so I ran four or five practice laps then did a six-lap "novice" race. In all my previous races I had never run a lap better than a 1:48, never finished on the lead lap, and had always been last place of all the cars still running. Well, in just my first race with the wheel and minimal practice time, I finished 14th (out of 20 cars, 19 running), on the lead lap, and wasn't even the last car on the lead lap. I had three sub-1:42 laps (the fastest a 1:40). I would have had a top ten finish but with two laps to go I tried to brake a little later for the Parabolica and ended up in the gravel trap.:gomer:

I know I'm not exactly striking fear into the hearts of you guys, but I'm still getting my feet under me. And frankly, of all the racing games I've played, I never thought being a grid-filler could be so much fun. This game is addictive! See you at the races!:thumbup:

Warlock!
04-08-03, 04:54 PM
"I tol' you, Lucy!"

Warlock!

JT265
04-08-03, 06:52 PM
remember Rabbit, "one mans gravel trap is another mans beach."

Welcome aboard.:D

devilmaster
04-08-03, 07:14 PM
So lets turn the tables on rabbit here: ;)

"Rabbit, better lap times for you today, a stronger finish than you've been accustomed to. Rumour in the paddock has it that one of your fellow racers took you aside. What do you attribute your better showing to, and do you feel you've turned a corner?"

:p
Steve

rabbit
04-08-03, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
So lets turn the tables on rabbit here: ;)

"Rabbit, better lap times for you today, a stronger finish than you've been accustomed to. Rumour in the paddock has it that one of your fellow racers took you aside. What do you attribute your better showing to, and do you feel you've turned a corner?"

:p
Steve "Well, for sure I've got to thank Warlock. He stepped in and helped me when no one else would. I always knew I had the talent to compete at this level. But talent alone will only get you so far. Racing today, it's so important to have the right equipment and that's where he really helped me out. I don't know that I've 'turned a corner' but I do feel like I've at least got the corner in sight. I'm trying to get acclimated to a new series with new equipment and it's not an overnight process. It requires a lot of hard work. I've stepped up my training regimen and I think that's going to pay off for me. I'm just real encouraged by what progress I've made."

:) How's that?

devilmaster
04-08-03, 07:53 PM
Damn! Missed all that. Never took a shorthand class. Oh well, i'll just paraphrase. "yes on both questions" hmmm... I figured you would have been a better interview. ;) :p

Steve

rabbit
04-08-03, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
hmmm... I figured you would have been a better interview. ;) :p

Steve To quote Bob Knight... "You obviously have a higher opinion of your question than I do.":p :laugh:

mnkywrch
04-08-03, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
"Well, for sure I've got to thank Warlock. He stepped in and helped me when no one else would. I always knew I had the talent to compete at this level. But talent alone will only get you so far. Racing today, it's so important to have the right equipment and that's where he really helped me out. I don't know that I've 'turned a corner' but I do feel like I've at least got the corner in sight. I'm trying to get acclimated to a new series with new equipment and it's not an overnight process. It requires a lot of hard work. I've stepped up my training regimen and I think that's going to pay off for me. I'm just real encouraged by what progress I've made."

:) How's that?

Terrible. You didn't mention your sponsors once. ;)

RacinM3
04-09-03, 12:41 AM
How's this?

"Once again, Warlock! has beer on the brain. He's gone and divulged the "secrets of speed" to a rookie, whereas all of us had to learn the hard way - screw around until we accidentally stumbled over the new technology. I hear that Warlock! is banned now from using that particular brand of wheel now since he's up and given away the technology. The wheel's manufacturer is not happy and is concerned that their technology is going to show up in wheels manufactured by others. I can almost feel the reverse-engineering taking place as we speak. Once again, a small group of people screws it up for the majority."

:p :D

rabbit
04-09-03, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Terrible. You didn't mention your sponsors once. ;) You guys have sponsors!?!?:eek: :cry: :)