PDA

View Full Version : Did someone flip at the Atlantic test?

Fio1
03-29-06, 11:02 PM
Sorry if this is a week late, but a friend of mine went to the test and just told me today that someone had a massive shunt. I never heard about. So, what happened? According to my friend some older guy (?) basically turned into a faster passing driver, launching the guy 10-15 feet in the air. The guy flipped 3 times. Anybody have any info on this?

Also, who is this old guy? Some names I don't recognize, but didn't think there'd be any 'club' racers in Atlantic this year.

extramundane
03-29-06, 11:14 PM
Sorry if this is a week late, but a friend of mine went to the test and just told me today that someone had a massive shunt. I never heard about. So, what happened? According to my friend some older guy (?) basically turned into a faster passing driver, launching the guy 10-15 feet in the air. The guy flipped 3 times. Anybody have any info on this?

Also, who is this old guy? Some names I don't recognize, but didn't think there'd be any 'club' racers in Atlantic this year.

Someone on another fourm said it was Nick Jones driving Jensen's car. I don't know anything about him, but seeing as Jensen is well-known for picking only the best quality drivers... :rolleyes:

NismoZ
03-30-06, 12:38 AM
Yes, Jones "tangled with another car" and flipped. Not hurt. Gets the honor of the first track "test crash" of the new Swift.

Fio1
03-30-06, 11:05 AM
Who was the other driver? And, why wasn't it mentioned anywehere. Are the Atlantic people trying to keep it hush-hush for some reason? Usually, it should be mentioned that someone crashed (hard) and walked away from it. It the guy flipped and walked away, he basically gave the new car a crash test and it past, right? So, they should mention it. Who was the other driver involved?

NismoZ
03-30-06, 11:16 AM
That's why I wrote "tangled with another car." That was all the info in the blurb I read.

cameraman
03-30-06, 01:09 PM
The press release from the Atlantic series.

With nearly all drivers logging at least 150 miles over the two days, the new-generation Atlantic passed its first true test with flying colors. The test was run without any major incidents until late in the day on Wednesday when American Nick Jones, testing for Jensen Motorsport, got together with another car in Turn 1. Jones' car went off track and flipped before coming to rest. Although the car was badly damaged, Jones didn't suffer any significant injuries.

If seems to have flipped after it left the track.

What is up with the conspiracy theories :shakehead

Fio1
03-30-06, 01:36 PM
What is up with the conspiracy theories :shakehead

Who is the 'other' car? :eek: Someone must know. Usually if contact happens between two cars, and one guy flips, the series should know who the other driver was and look in to see what happened....I don't, just a thought. They do that in karting, they do that at Skip Barber and they do that in SCCA.

cameraman
03-30-06, 05:07 PM
From Jensen Motorsports

British driver Nick Jones unfortunately suffered a huge accident, effectively destroying the new Swift as he rolled three times after being contacted by another car at high speed. The team will work feverishly to buildup a new chassis in time for the Long Beach Grand Prix - April 7th-9th.

Again it doesn't say who the second car was. Other reports say the tub itself is damaged.

If you want to know who he hit email Jensen and ask him.

NismoZ
03-30-06, 09:30 PM
I read Jones is an American not British. (?)

Fio1
03-30-06, 11:49 PM
I understand the other driver was Dan Selznick. Other the being an older gentelman driver, what do you guys know about this guy?

Nick Jones is American with Welsh heritage.

cameraman
03-31-06, 01:05 PM
He co-owns the Room Store which is a large furniture chain in Arizona.

He ran a couple of Atlantic races in 2003 and most of the 2004 & 2005 races.
He usually qualifies around 10th and finishes around 10th. He was a few seconds off of the leaders all season long. He is not the slowest car by any means. He is consistently in the middle of the grid.

RichK
03-31-06, 01:09 PM
He co-owns the Room Store which is a large furniture chain in Arizona.

formerly Unpainted Arizona.

"...or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!"

Fio1
03-31-06, 02:51 PM
formerly Unpainted Arizona.

"...or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!"

That's the guy!?!