PDA

View Full Version : CDM signs with coyne

trauma1
03-29-06, 12:55 PM
WTF, a shocker

Cristiano da Matta Joins Dale Coyne Racing for 2006

Fontana, California………..Dale Coyne Racing proudly announces the addition of Champion driver Cristiano da Matta for the 2006 Champ Car World Series.

Da Matta brings an outstanding record to the efforts of Dale Coyne Racing. “Dale has consistently produced competitive cars as shown by the results good drivers have experienced in the past,” commented the popular Brazilian. “I am excited about this opportunity and we are both committed to putting out a competitive effort for 2006.”

Cristiano da Matta represents the strongest driver yet to drive for Dale Coyne Racing. Da Matta ran two years with Newman/Haas Racing, which included 10 race wins and a Championship winning season in 2002. His solid efforts for the Toyota powered team vaulted him to the newly formed Toyota Formula 1 effort, where he showed his expertise during a development program in 2003 and 2004. In 2005, the 31 year-old returned to Champ Cars driving for PKV Racing winning one round in Portland and finishing 11th in the season points battle.

“Our team has smelled victory in the past, it is now time to taste it,” commented team owner Dale Coyne. “I am very proud to have Cristiano join our efforts for 2006 and look forward to an exciting season.” Dale Coyne Racing has campaigned cars in the Champ Car World Series and CART since 1984. Scoring multiple top tens with an array of drivers, podiums with Roberto Moreno and Oriol Servia and near wins with Alex Barron, the team is now poised to have its best season ever.

Da Matta will drive the entire 2006 season in the teams #19 entry. Sponsorships continue from several loyal sponsors including Northern Illinois Steel, Sonny’s Real Pit Bar-B-Q, Vernon & Maz, Aurora Bearings and a few new surprises to be announced prior to Houston. David Watson returns to the team to engineer the effort headed by Chief Mechanic Andy Greene and crew.

The team is currently in Fontana for a two-day test. Cristiano will take the wheel of the Coyne Lola for the first time in preparation for the first race next week at Long Beach.

Dirty Sanchez
03-29-06, 01:12 PM
it's Mike Gascoyne's fault :laugh:

KLang
03-29-06, 01:14 PM
it's Mike Gascoyne's fault :laugh:

Is\was that da Matta's agent?

jonovision_man
03-29-06, 01:33 PM
Is\was that da Matta's agent?

Nope, Toyota F1's technical director.

He was out to get da Matta and that's why Panis kicked his butt. :cry: :rolleyes: :D

jono

RichK
03-29-06, 01:52 PM
Wow, from F1 to Coyne in 2 years.

Fio1
03-29-06, 02:44 PM
Wow, from F1 to Coyne in 2 years.

Isn't that was Tarso Marques did a few years ago. Alex Yoong also, no?

As long as they have a decent engineer and some funding, I think they will do ok. Besides, CDM can peddal the car pretty good.

jonovision_man
03-29-06, 02:55 PM
Isn't that was Tarso Marques did a few years ago. Alex Yoong also, no?

There's a big difference between buying your way into the crappiest F1 team on the grid like Marques & Yoong did... and being snapped up by the best funded F1 team on the grid as a CART champion then getting bounced back to Coyne.

jono

KLang
03-29-06, 02:57 PM
I wasn't too impressed with him last year, although maybe it was the team. Hopefully this ride will motivate him and the team to step up. A successfull Coyne team would be good for the series.

Insomniac
03-29-06, 03:12 PM
I wasn't too impressed with him last year, although maybe it was the team. Hopefully this ride will motivate him and the team to step up. A successfull Coyne team would be good for the series.

I think DCR has been improving steadily since he came back with Lolas (the year his guys wrecked both cars on the warm up laps (I think in Vancouver) being the starting point).

swift
03-29-06, 08:26 PM
I think DCR has been improving steadily since he came back with Lolas.
:confused: other than tarso marques' swift011.c (inherited from Forsythe Championship Racing's scuttled 2000 venture), when has DCR, or Payton-Coyne not used a Lola?

Rob
03-29-06, 08:28 PM
:confused: other than tarso marques' swift011.c (inherited from Forsythe Championship Racing's scuttled 2000 venture), when has DCR, or Payton-Coyne not used a Lola?
When the team was absent for the better part of two seasons.

pkvracing12
03-29-06, 08:45 PM
Is CDM brining in any sponsorship? or will he buy driving a plain s**** box?

Audi_A4
03-29-06, 08:53 PM
I read the news earlier today and thought WOW! HE IS COMMITING CAREER SUICIDE

cameraman
03-29-06, 08:54 PM
Sponsorships continue from several loyal sponsors including Northern Illinois Steel, Sonny’s Real Pit Bar-B-Q, Vernon & Maz, Aurora Bearings and a few new surprises to be announced prior to Houston.

And Servia put the #11 on the podium at Laguna Seca in 2004. With a good engineer & driver the Coyne cars can be a few orders of magnitude better than the Geoff Boss days....

KLang
03-29-06, 09:10 PM
I read the news earlier today and thought WOW! HE IS COMMITING CAREER SUICIDE

It doesn't sound like he had another options.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. :thumbup:

cameraman
03-29-06, 09:14 PM
His first day in the car and he splits the Forsythe duo

Tracy 53.092
da Matta 53.236
Dominguez 53.714

Jervis Tetch 1
03-30-06, 12:05 AM
Coyne might actually win a race now.

jonovision_man
03-30-06, 08:52 AM
Coyne might actually win a race now.

Isn't that one of the signs of the apocolypse?

TKGAngel
03-30-06, 09:26 AM
Is CDM brining in any sponsorship? or will he buy driving a plain s**** box?

10:1 says that it will be a plain red and white car.

NismoZ
03-30-06, 10:21 AM
I hear there were a bunch of plain ****boxes there.

racer2c
03-30-06, 10:46 AM
I'd rather drive a plain red and white Champ Car than a fully sponsered Crapwagon any time.

:gomer:

It's funny cuz it's true! :)

jonovision_man
03-30-06, 11:00 AM
I guess it's funnier when it's not your money.

Lots of reasons to be concerned IMO, a sponsor-less car is a car that CCWS is paying for.

jono

racer2c
03-30-06, 11:04 AM
I guess it's funnier when it's not your money.

Lots of reasons to be concerned IMO, a sponsor-less car is a car that CCWS is paying for.

jono

It's all a stop gap until 2007 baby!!

:)

jonovision_man
03-30-06, 11:05 AM
LOL. :D

jono

racer2c
03-30-06, 12:26 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/100304_cdm.jpg

"Hey, I'll admit I was hesitant when Dale first called me," he said. "And I know it's going to be a new experience for me and a big challenge.

"But all my other options were in cars with roofs and doors and it's too early in my life for me to go that route."

LOL!

RichK
03-30-06, 12:32 PM
Is that an old Gigante-painted car (minus some decals)?

Insomniac
03-30-06, 12:34 PM

I thought he "returned" in 2003 with the yellow Lolas. I wasn't really trying to say he switched chassis. I was trying to say he wasn't in ChampCar for a little bit. Checking the ChampCar web site, I see he did run a couple races in 2001 and 2002 (when I thought he was out of ChampCar). So basically, I think they've been improving since 2003.

Gnam
03-30-06, 01:01 PM
Is that an old Gigante-painted car (minus some decals)?
I think it's the old AMR painted car minus some decals. So who's paying for this car: Coyne, CCWS, CdM?

Anteater
03-30-06, 03:25 PM
I saw a transcript of the teleconference; someone asked CdM about being on a team that had never won a race. Here's how he replied:

"...I mean, last year when I signed with PKV, they had never won a race before and I won a race for them in Portland. Back in 2000 when I was driving for PPI, they had never won a race. I won a race that year. So actually winning a race for a team that has never won a race sometimes is a much bigger achievement than winning four races in the same championship for a team that has won a lot."

:cool: :thumbup: Go da Matta and DCR!

oddlycalm
03-30-06, 04:18 PM
winning a race for a team that has never won a race sometimes is a much bigger achievement Can't argue with that. CdM has won races in cars nobody thought would do well.

oc

Cam
03-30-06, 04:44 PM
Can't argue with that. CdM has won races in cars nobody thought would do well.

oc

Toyota? :D ;)