PDA

View Full Version : Fools complaining to the FCC

cameraman
03-28-06, 06:31 PM
I suppose Champ Car will need to put a 5 second delay on the in car from PT :rolleyes:

A rant from the puritans who filed a complaint with the FCC about the evil s-word.....

"NASCAR has a profanity problem. It seems that every now and then, a participant in a nationally-televised race will violate the FCC’s clear rules against uttering vulgar terms on daytime television and "let one slip" on the air.

"On one hand, leaders of the sport want families to think they’re against it. On the other hand, they don’t seem to want it to stop.

Sunday’s FOX television coverage of the "Food City 500" NASCAR race included an audio transmission of an angry pit crew chief using the "S-word." It wasn’t the first time a NASCAR personality used profanity on television on a Sunday afternoon. And, despite NASCAR’s statements and the FCC’s recent willingness to prohibit such utterances, it certainly won’t be the last without public complaints for FOX’s negligence on Sunday.

snip.....

Racing Truth
03-28-06, 06:37 PM
Lemme guess, the Parents' Television Council (or something like that)? :rolleyes:

"NASCAR has a profanity problem." It's called LIFE, you fools.

spinner26
03-28-06, 06:53 PM
They need to visit their local school yard or athletic field. They'll get a whole new vocabulary. Unfortunately, they don't want to admit that one. :rolleyes:

formulaben
03-28-06, 08:21 PM
I suppose Champ Car will need to put a 5 second delay on the in car from PT :rolleyes:

A rant from the puritans who filed a complaint with the FCC about the evil s-word.....

I could be wrong, but I specifically remember somewhere about the FCC giving some type of an exclusion or relief to live sporting events, as far as fines go. They acknoledged that the networks can't police fans or players who happen to be caught on a microphone. The infamous Superbowl incident was definitely preventable, hence the fine.

Kiwifan
03-28-06, 09:23 PM
They should tune in to the Aussie V8s or any rugby or footy game. ;)

Poor old Scafie let the big F word out after he crashed for the second time over the weekend. After a mechanical failure and hitting the wall at 170km (Sat) he was a bit miffed but after an all night repair lasting only half a race (Sun) before getting caught in someone else tangle was too much. The reporters apologised and said "you could tell he's obviously upset" and that was it. Carry on. No dramas. The way it should be.... ;)

Rusty.

mueber
03-28-06, 09:42 PM
I’m not a big fan of profanity myself, but I’ve always been grown up enough to be solve the discomfort caused by bad television by imposing upon myself a simple rule: If you don’t like it, don ‘t watch it.

tantra
03-28-06, 10:43 PM
From the FCC site:

What makes material “profane?” “Profane language” includes those words that are so highly offensive that their mere utterance in the context presented may, in legal terms, amount to a “nuisance.” In its Golden Globe Awards Order the FCC warned broadcasters that, depending on the context, it would consider the “F-Word” and those words (or variants thereof) that are as highly offensive as the “F-Word” to be “profane language” that cannot be broadcast between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.
That tells me that PT (and nearly all the other drivers I have know and know of) dare not talk to their crew for fear that the media may be broadcasting their communications over the public air waves.

Heck, darned! Wasn't life difficult enough at times, even before the moral police of this administration swooped down to make an issue of the simple expletives of our language that their kids learned on the school bus going to and from kindergarden?

eiregosod
03-28-06, 10:46 PM
some people make a living by complaining to the FCC.

send me some money and I will pressurize the FCC to clean th airwaves :gomer:

ALL cage rattling organisiations (no exceptions) should be told to sit on it .I..

Cam
03-28-06, 10:51 PM
They should tune in to the Aussie V8s or any rugby or footy game. ;)

Poor old Scafie let the big F word out after he crashed for the second time over the weekend. After a mechanical failure and hitting the wall at 170km (Sat) he was a bit miffed but after an all night repair lasting only half a race (Sun) before getting caught in someone else tangle was too much. The reporters apologised and said "you could tell he's obviously upset" and that was it. Carry on. No dramas. The way it should be.... ;)

Rusty.

Hey Russ,

Just wondering...... Do you get "The Glasshouse", "Spicks and Specks" or "The Chasers War" over there?

I download these shows weekly and show them to my friends here in the US and they amazed that it's allowed on over the air TV......

They however love the shows....

TrueBrit
03-28-06, 11:18 PM
Oooh no!! Not the 'S' word!!! :cry:

:rolleyes:

I am so sick of these fools...they lost their mind over a nipple, and just keep on going...

And of course that kind of language is NEVER used in the homes of NECKCAR fans all over right?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

These people are in dire need of massive quantities of alcohol or a damned good shagging..or both...

Or perhaps they just need a nice steaming hot cup of STFU.....

eiregosod
03-29-06, 12:26 AM
Hey Russ,

Just wondering...... Do you get "The Glasshouse", "Spicks and Specks" or "The Chasers War" over there?

I download these shows weekly and show them to my friends here in the US and they amazed that it's allowed on over the air TV......

They however love the shows....

see if you can find any downloads from "The Podge and Rodge Show" ;)

fourrunner
03-29-06, 12:40 AM
Oh Pshaw, those Gosh Darn FCC folk are such Poopy Heads ... and Heck & Darnation I mean Poopy with a capital P !

Kiwifan
03-29-06, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Cam Hey Russ,

No, but my wife is wearing No Knickers and is eating Nobbys Nuts. :) One thing I love about the Aussies is they like a good joke and don't get too wrapped up in PC, yet. ;)

I'm off to Melbourne in a few weeks Cam so will check it out, on your recommendation, of course! Lol.

My favorite quote from a TV show is "I'm as busy as a one-legged man at an A*** kicking competion." Certainly not PC but sorta funny nonetheless. So what show did that come from?

Take care you guys and watch those naughty words.

Rusty.

PS, have any of you seen the latest Aussie travel ad? "where the Bl***y H*** are you?" Classic, but banned in a Country near you! LOL.

oddlycalm
03-29-06, 05:09 AM
The FCC's latest vow is to "clean up cable." My take is that it's time to clean out the FCC.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
03-29-06, 08:13 AM
Maybe NASCAR can have Howie Stern help defend them, unless of course he considers NASCAR one of his enemies. :gomer: :gomer:

slow bear
03-29-06, 08:47 AM
I wonder how the interpretation would differ between:

Overheard on a scanner at the track
Overheard on a pay website that broadcasts scanner traffic
Overheard on a TV/radio broadcast

I can see them looking at the second two, but at the track scanner traffic - you're eavesdropping on someone else's conversation.
You have no right to complain if you don't like what you hear.

TKGAngel
03-29-06, 09:28 AM
I thought that most current race broadcasts used a "pre-screened" radio format. Like for example, cutting away to Driver X's car and playing the feed after they've determined its a) of viewer interest and b) conforms to FCC regulations.

Tifosi24
03-29-06, 11:24 AM
This obsession with profanity is a bit over the top. If these puritans don't want their children to swear than parent your kids. I swear, but from my upbringing I know not to swear around my parents, unless I want a swift kick, and around people I have just met. We should be more concerned with the sick inuendo that is rampant on pop radio these days. Not much phases me, but good God some of these songs are pushing the envelope.

TKGAngel
03-29-06, 01:13 PM
From Jayski (http://www.jayski.com)

<snip>"We've talked to FOX Sports and they told us there was a malfunction, that it wasn't deliberate,'' NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said Tuesday. "They told us there's some sort of system in play where there's a delay. For whatever reason, it didn't work. They assured us they're looking at ways to make sure that doesn't reoccur.'' <snip>Hunter said Manion was not fined because "this was a glitch that occurred.

devilmaster
03-29-06, 02:15 PM
20 years from now, we'll all be sitting round chatting:

'Remember when American Tv could be live? Man them was the days. You didn't know what would happen."

Steve99
03-29-06, 04:24 PM
I think Champ Car races have been delaying driver audio for at least 5 years now. If you listen to the spotters at the ovals on TV it is obviously delayed.

Gangrel
03-29-06, 04:26 PM
>Paraphrasing from Penn Jillette<

News story: The FCC today has announced that what some people find offensive, others find entertaining, and there are benefits and risks to any programming we choose to watch. The best recommendation is to for people to exercise judgement and take responsibility for what they and their children watch.

The FCC also announced that it is no longer needed as an organization and that it will disband and return all the money to the taxpayers....

No, wait....that wasn't really in the news...it was just a wonderful, sad dream I had.

:D

oddlycalm
03-29-06, 04:54 PM
The FCC also announced that it is no longer needed as an organization and that it will disband and return all the money to the taxpayers... Ironic that at a time when the FCC feels it has to micro-manage content it has abdicated it's role in preventing media consolidation. Hearing an occasional cussword isn't likely to permanently damage anyone but having a handful of powerful people control the information flow at every level is not the stuff real democracy is made of.

oc

Gangrel
03-29-06, 07:08 PM
Ironic that at a time when the FCC feels it has to micro-manage content it has abdicated it's role in preventing media consolidation. Hearing an occasional cussword isn't likely to permanently damage anyone but having a handful of powerful people control the information flow at every level is not the stuff real democracy is made of.

oc

Much like the FDA, the FCC is nothing but a bunch of buerocrats who found a niche in forming an oranization who's sole purpose has evolved into throwing their weight around, then waiting for the first big corporation to come along and line their pockets in an effort to bend the rules in their favor. Somehow, I don't think this is exactly what the Founding Fathers had in mind... :shakehead

Steve99
03-29-06, 07:30 PM
Ironic that at a time when the FCC feels it has to micro-manage content it has abdicated it's role in preventing media consolidation. Hearing an occasional cussword isn't likely to permanently damage anyone but having a handful of powerful people control the information flow at every level is not the stuff real democracy is made of.

oc
Hey, I don't think you're allowed to say that in a public format. Let me check with the MegaCorp lawyers and get back with you.