PDA

View Full Version : Stoddart II: Electric Boogaloo

Easy
03-28-06, 10:38 AM
Paul and European Minardi are returning to F1 in 2008.
LINKED INFORMATION (http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=113514)

Does this mean he won't be starting a ChampCar team? :gomer:

Cam
03-28-06, 10:45 AM
Paul and European Minardi are returning to F1 in 2008.
LINKED INFORMATION (http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=113514)

Does this mean he won't be starting a ChampCar team? :gomer:

I was gonna submit this with a much better headline :p

Anyway... So is this really the return of Minardi? :eek:

oddlycalm
03-28-06, 02:41 PM
Must have time on his hands since his airline imploded.

oc

Insomniac
03-28-06, 04:44 PM
Geez, he has to pay the $50M fee to get into F1 again, right?

TorontoWorker
03-28-06, 10:17 PM
Geez, he has to pay the $50M fee to get into F1 again, right?

I thought it was waved for 08?

Dirty Sanchez
03-28-06, 10:28 PM
it is. and he didn't have to pay one the first time either because he purchased an existing team :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
03-28-06, 10:29 PM
They should pay him $50M to disappear.

Cam
03-28-06, 10:29 PM
I thought it was waved for 08?

They need to wave the team limit too! Gimme 28-30 on the grid again!

Sure most were wankers, but you occasionally came up with a Toleman..... :thumbup:

Easy
03-29-06, 11:53 AM

Sure most were wankers, but you occasionally came up with a Toleman..... :thumbup:

I think Bern and Maxi want to avoid pre-qualifying and money launderers.

I'd like to see the revival of Andrea Moda and LRE though. Assuming everyone is out of custody...

TorontoWorker
03-29-06, 08:03 PM

Or Zakspeed! I remember them at Montreal in the days of pre-qualifing and we used to keep the firebottles real handy. Every trip out from the pits was an adventure for that team. We used to take bets on which station would get the daily firetraining. Station eight for some reason used to win more often then not.

My theroy was that if they made it past one lap they were fine for a few as I often wondered if the fit between the turbo and intake didn't come up to temps at the same time. They would hit the boost on the back straight between station 7 and station 8 and when they came off the power under the bridge they would burst into flames on the overrun and then tool around on fire until the driver noticed the workers large eyeballs or felt the heat.

That was the problem with the pre-qualifing days for this team as I guess you didn't have too many laps to warm up everything so they just had to go for it out of the pits before the engine was up to it.

The only worse team at the time was that one where the team owner went to jail - what a piece of crap these cars were. Pick and item and it fell off somewhere. A wing here, a tire over there, (I guess they couldn't afford wheel nuts!).

It made for good stories around beer and wings in old Montreal that Friday night!

Easy
03-30-06, 11:11 AM
The only worse team at the time was that one where the team owner went to jail -

Andrea Moda, my favorite team. The owner was a real peach according to Perry McCarthy's book.

formulaben
03-31-06, 08:15 PM
I really don't think we need any more Yuji Ides, do we? I'd rather have a cap to keep the talent level high(er). There should always be a "Minardi" type of team to bring the young guys up, but I think the Super Aguris should go away...to F3, GP2, or something they can handle...*ahem*...and I think I'm being generous at that.

Sean O'Gorman
03-31-06, 08:26 PM
I liked the days when there were 26+ cars trying to get onto the grid, so I welcome the new teams. Besides, like Cam said, you'll always have your Senna and your Toleman who make something out of nothing.

oddlycalm
04-02-06, 05:40 PM
I liked the days when there were 26+ cars trying to get onto the grid, so I welcome the new teams. Besides, like Cam said, you'll always have your Senna and your Toleman who make something out of nothing. Well then you're going to love 2008 because so far we have Eddie Jordan with Team Vapor, Prodrive, Paul Stoddart, Direxiv (Super Aguri part II) and GP2 team Racing Engineering all tossing their hats in the ring.

oc

Rogue Leader
04-08-06, 09:35 PM
I really don't think we need any more Yuji Ides, do we? I'd rather have a cap to keep the talent level high(er). There should always be a "Minardi" type of team to bring the young guys up, but I think the Super Aguris should go away...to F3, GP2, or something they can handle...*ahem*...and I think I'm being generous at that.

I love Matchett's comments about Super Aguri... he calls them everything but! "Super Best Friends"

emjaya
04-23-06, 05:19 AM
Story in my sunday paper has Stoddart saying he has been told he is not in.

"We got a 'not at this time,but stay in touch' sort a letter"

Prodrive and Dave Richards are it,apparently.

:)

NismoZ
04-23-06, 04:23 PM
Wave? As in bye-bye?