PDA

View Full Version : my DVR is noisy

Sean O'Gorman
03-27-06, 08:18 PM
So over the weekend this thing shows up at my house:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/products/receivers/lg_dishplayerdvr625.jpg

It is seriously the greatest invention in the world, but one problem. It is damn loud. I hear the hard driver recording at all hrs of the day, even if everything is shut off. It is keeping me up at night!!!!

Is this normal?

Dr. Corkski
03-27-06, 08:22 PM
Quit polluting your HD with those SkineMax movies.

Stu
03-27-06, 08:36 PM
turn the sound up?

Ankf00
03-27-06, 08:57 PM
quit watching so much TV

Sean O'Gorman
03-27-06, 08:59 PM
Anyone besides you three clowns want to contribute?

I'm talking about when all other electronics are off, not when I'm watching TV.

Elmo T
03-27-06, 09:06 PM
I have whatever tuner/DVR set-up Comcast Cable is using. Not the same as yours. Either way, I can hear the hard driver spinning away when it is on. I haven't noticed it when the box is off - but I do hear the fan running constantly. The box gets very hot when it is on, so much that I had to rearrange my entertainment center.

Spicoli
03-27-06, 09:36 PM
Anyone besides you three clowns want to contribute?

I'm talking about when all other electronics are off, not when I'm watching TV.

dood, you are YOUNG, single and live with your parents and made 10k last year. WTF you wanna stay inside and watch dvr StuporVision?

GO OUTSIDE. TALK TO PEOPLE. GO TO THE BAR AND MEETS SOME LADIES.

Opposite Lock
03-27-06, 09:44 PM
Once you get your own place, do yourself a favor and move the tv/dvr out of your bedroom. ;)

oddlycalm
03-27-06, 10:33 PM
One of the side effects of having cable/satellite companies that don't have to live or die based on their quality of their DVR product enter the game is that they cheap out and source any old drive based on price alone.

That said you have a worst case situation because you're on top of the unit rather than 10ft.-12ft. away and out of the room when not watching. I have the same 300GB Maxtor in my DVR as in my computer. In my quiet office the read/write chatter from this drive is clearly audible but in the DVR with rubber shock mounts it's totally silent from anything farther than 6".

Since we can't actually hear your drive, there's always a change that you have a bad unit. There's a difference between the normal read write noise, which should be inaudible in a good drive unless your ear is pressed up next to it and the clicking of a drive getting ready to fail.

oc

racer2c
03-27-06, 11:43 PM
Waa! My DVR is noisy! I'm a spoiled rich American who can't stand the barely audible hard drive in my cable box. Waa!!!!!!!! :cry:

My DVR is noisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! :)

Mr. Toad
03-27-06, 11:59 PM
Once you get your own place, do yourself a favor and move the tv/dvr out of your bedroom. ;)

Perhaps Sean's mom should "stop cooking with cheese". ;)

Ankf00
03-28-06, 01:00 AM
:rofl:

Stu
03-28-06, 07:37 AM
are you sure its not recording something that your parents are watching since the same DVR is connected to your TV and the one up in your parents "surround sound" room.

I quote "surround sound" because the Ogormans have a severe lack of knowledge of acoustics.

HEY, lets put the left rear AND the right rear in the same corner! It will save space.

Sean O'Gorman
03-28-06, 07:52 AM
are you sure its not recording something that your parents are watching since the same DVR is connected to your TV and the one up in your parents "surround sound" room.

That's what I thought it was, but I shut that off and it still is making noises like it is recording.

FWIW, I only watch a couple hrs of TV a week, outside of racing on the weekends. And my dad's surround sound setup may suck, but at least he doesn't have a 61" HD and only 4 channels to watch on it like someone I know. :p

Stu
03-28-06, 09:55 AM
no need to pay for cable when the best things to watch on TV are either on the networks.

The only thing I would pay for would be Indians baseball, and I go to most games anyway so no big deal.

KLang
03-28-06, 10:13 AM
That's what I thought it was, but I shut that off and it still is making noises like it is recording.

Are you shutting off the receiver or the TV's attached to it? The receiver, when powered up, is always recording to the hard drive. I have one of Dish's single tuner models in our bedroom. It does always make some noise but it's never been loud enough to bother us. It actually quieted down some over time.

Insomniac
03-28-06, 10:17 AM

FWIW, I only watch a couple hrs of TV a week, outside of racing on the weekends. And my dad's surround sound setup may suck, but at least he doesn't have a 61" HD and only 4 channels to watch on it like someone I know. :p

Even if you turn the power off, it doesn't turn off the DVR, just the output to the TV. You can confirm this by turning it back on and rewinding the live show during the time it was "off'. I don't have Dish Network, but some DVRs do have a hard drive spin down option when you turn the power off (disabled by default). Call up tech support and see if they can help you out.

Ankf00
03-28-06, 10:56 AM
Going into surgery > O'Gorman's hifi setup :gomer:

CARTNUT
03-28-06, 04:25 PM
It's not recording, it's automatically downloading programing info. I was told the unit has to be/should be turned off when not in use in order for this to happen, otherwise if it is left on all the time, you have to wait for things like the On Screen Guide to download, and it takes longer to tune in channels.

'NUT :gomer:

Skater_36
03-28-06, 05:11 PM
It's most likely the fan that is making the noise. Try calling customer retention and see if they will replace the box.

tllips
03-28-06, 05:41 PM
yeah, one of my Tivo units had a noisy fan. I ordered a new one from weaknees.com and they even sent a cool tool with it to reach the hex screws to remove the old fan. Silence ever since.

cameraman
03-28-06, 06:35 PM
I have the HD version.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/images/receivers/vip622-lrg.jpg

It is nearly silent.

KLang
03-28-06, 06:56 PM
I have the HD version.

Mine is scheduled to be installed Saturday morning. :thumbup:

dando
03-29-06, 12:08 AM
no need to pay for cable when the best things to watch on TV are either on the networks.

Ummm, yeah. :saywhat: :shakehead Broadcast TeeVee is pathetic.

-Kevin

Stu
03-29-06, 08:02 AM
Ummm, yeah. :saywhat: :shakehead Broadcast TeeVee is pathetic.

-Kevin

24, Office, Earl, Prison Break, sometimes Scrubs, the Browns, Cavs, and Indians, NCTS and Champ Car.

All but the Indians and NCTS are on Network TV, Champ Car sometimes.

I'd say thats more than enough TV for me in a week. No need for more.

Skater_36
03-29-06, 08:41 AM
yeah, one of my Tivo units had a noisy fan. I ordered a new one from weaknees.com and they even sent a cool tool with it to reach the hex screws to remove the old fan. Silence ever since.

Yes, it's an easy fix if you own the unit, but I believe Dish is using a lease program so he is probably better off just asking them to replace the noisy unit.