PDA

View Full Version : BTW:

Racing Truth
03-26-06, 02:16 PM
In case some are thinking, this one can't really blamed on anything than a freak accident. In short, I have no confidence the results would have been any different, given the impact, in a Champ Car.

devilmaster
03-26-06, 02:19 PM
If you saw the video of the crash, I don't think anyone would disagree....

Heeltoe
03-26-06, 02:50 PM
it reminded me of villeneuve torpedoing into kinghiro at phoenix in 94, except jacques was able to miss a direct hit into the gearbox and engine, probably saving his life.

Andrew Longman
03-26-06, 04:03 PM
I really don't know anything about Dana's abilities.

I do know that Ed spun on an open track three minutes into practice. And Dana was still carrying a ton of speed after Ed had traveled 1000 feet and come to a stop.

A racing thing is hard enough to take. If it was made more likely because these guys are in over their heads and are only there because they bring money and connections, then it is bloodsport.

cameraman
03-26-06, 05:15 PM
He had slowed from ~205 to around 170 before he hit. Everybody else went high, for whatever reason Dana went low....

:(

spinner26
03-26-06, 05:30 PM
He had slowed from ~205 to around 170 before he hit. Everybody else went high, for whatever reason Dana went low....

176 MPH. on contact.

Not what needed to happen, AT ALL. :(

KLang
03-26-06, 05:32 PM
Should open wheel cars even be running on these Nascar tracks? :(

cameraman
03-26-06, 05:49 PM
I really do not like these oval races.

I feel like I am waiting for someone to die.

I haven't much watched ovals since 1999...

The concept of a merger is the only reason I'm watching this thing today.

indyfan31
03-26-06, 09:13 PM

From the first reports on Sportscenter it seems that his spotter told him to go low, probably because Carpenter was riding the wall at the time. My question at the time of the crash was why didn't he get on the brakes hard, Sharp says he was slowing down when Dana went "whizzing past" him.
I think he just had to little experience to know how to react in a situation like that, it's very sad.

Winston Wolfe
03-27-06, 11:35 AM
The other thing that makes this so sad \ disappointing is that this was a PRACTICE SESSION... he had already q'd pretty well for the race (10th I believe), so it makes it all the more unfortunate that he was "on a flyer" when he crashed into the wreck of Carpenter.

Oh yeah, check this out.... :shakehead

Go to Ebay....

type in Paul Dana....

part of the "weird" part of Ebay.... I suppose when there is any tragedy in racing there are those who sincerely want to collect some memoribilia, and those who are looking to profit from it.... That's what makes capitalism and Ebay so great, right ? :rolleyes: