PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Paul Dana

Audi_A4
03-26-06, 01:54 PM
ESPN2 Has reported that Paul Dana has died from injuries sustained in a practice crash @ Homestead Miami earlier today. :mad: :shakehead

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=2384873)

Cam
03-26-06, 01:57 PM
:(

Racing Truth
03-26-06, 01:58 PM
:cry: :cry:

CART License
03-26-06, 02:00 PM
Sad day :(

devilmaster
03-26-06, 02:02 PM
Sorry to hear, condolences to the Dana family.

Racing Truth
03-26-06, 02:02 PM
One of those days when this sport really sucks. :(

Rahal withdrew all of his cars out of respect.

Spicoli
03-26-06, 02:04 PM
holy ****. Still haven't seen the video, but this is BAD. RIP dooder. :( :(

extramundane
03-26-06, 02:06 PM
The minute people started saying "Zanardi" I knew it couldn't be good.

Condolences to all. :(

devilmaster
03-26-06, 02:08 PM

just did myself. Very similar to zanardi

Carpenter's car hit the outside wall and did a slow roll to the apron. Dana hit the vision car around the engine block and Dana's car was launched in the air. TSN showed a shot right off the bat of the safety crew leader straddling the nose of the car holding 5 fingers up to the rest of the team when they got to Dana.

TKGAngel
03-26-06, 02:12 PM

ESPNews had a clip. Very Zanardi-esque, but even more violent.

Prayers for his family and friends during this time.

nrc
03-26-06, 02:14 PM

JoeBob
03-26-06, 02:15 PM

RusH
03-26-06, 02:17 PM
From the video it just seemed like one of those racing deals too.

RIP :(

skaven
03-26-06, 02:19 PM
A sad day for all race fans. :(

fourrunner
03-26-06, 02:23 PM
Here is a Guy that Finally attained his Racing Dream ... Truly Sad for his Family !

RHR_Fan
03-26-06, 02:23 PM
I went to ESPN at noon to see if there was any news and when I saw the guy talking to Marlo Klain I was like oh crap.

Sucks when any driver dies. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

~Nicole

Sean O'Gorman
03-26-06, 02:32 PM
Yikes. :(

RaceGrrl
03-26-06, 02:33 PM

Dr. Corkski
03-26-06, 02:35 PM
Terrible. :(

Sean O'Gorman
03-26-06, 02:36 PM
This ESPNEWS coverage of the accident is sickening.

"What made Paul Dana different, as a person?" :shakehead

He may have been in over his head, but it always sucks to see a sad ending for a journeyman driver's story end like this.

Ankf00
03-26-06, 02:36 PM

TravelGal
03-26-06, 02:47 PM
Bad. :(

Audi_A4
03-26-06, 02:59 PM
just did myself. Very similar to zanardi

TSN showed a shot right off the bat of the safety crew holding 5 fingers up to the rest of the team when they got to Dana.

what does the 5 fingers up mean?

Elmo T
03-26-06, 03:05 PM

I don't know about their safety team, but for most local emergency medical providers - 5 = class 5 = deceased. :(

devilmaster
03-26-06, 03:06 PM
I don't know about their safety team, but for most local emergency medical providers - 5 = class 5 = deceased. :(

We talked about this a while back, I think JB gave the best list. IIRC, both IRL and CC safety teams use a 1 through 5 code system.... code 5 is the gravest.

Napoleon
03-26-06, 03:07 PM

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall that for cornerworkes/saftey crew isn't a "code 5" a fatality? (code 1 is no injury). So by 5 fingers they would be signaling DOA.

Sean O'Gorman
03-26-06, 03:08 PM
Wasn't Memo a Code 5 after his wreck at RA back in '01?

devilmaster
03-26-06, 03:10 PM
Wasn't Memo a Code 5 after his wreck at RA back in '01?

yes. http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?p=62032&highlight=code#post62032

devilmaster
03-26-06, 03:13 PM
http://www.racelinecentral.com/RacingRadioFreq.html

Code 1 - Consious and coherent. Un-injured.
Code 2 - Slightly Disoriented. Mildly Bruised.
Code 3 - Requires Ambulance.
Code 4 - Requires Helo. Serious Injuries.
Code 5 - Life threatening injuries.

G.
03-26-06, 03:18 PM
damn. :(

DjDrOmusic
03-26-06, 03:20 PM
RIP Paul :(

dando
03-26-06, 03:24 PM
RIP. :(

-Kevin

jonovision_man
03-26-06, 03:52 PM
Sad. :(

pchall
03-26-06, 03:58 PM

indyfan31
03-26-06, 04:01 PM
This is a sad day for all involved, his family, teammates and fans alike.

Kiwifan
03-26-06, 04:09 PM
Just woken up to this news. I am so so sorry......... :cry:

Russell.

FTG
03-26-06, 04:12 PM
My condolences to the team, friends and family.

cart7
03-26-06, 04:18 PM
:( Very sad. I just checked in and then this. Prayers to the family.

The Doctor
03-26-06, 04:19 PM
Just got home from work... terrible news. :( Condolences to the Danas and the whole racing community.

Andrew Longman
03-26-06, 04:19 PM
RIP :(

Spicoli
03-26-06, 04:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=2384873

:shakehead

Jervis Tetch 1
03-26-06, 04:28 PM
This is so terrible. I'm deeply saddened. Please pray for Paul and his family. :(

rosawendel
03-26-06, 04:30 PM

FCYTravis
03-26-06, 04:33 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with Paul, his family and friends, Rahal/Letterman Racing and the entire IRL paddock. :( :( :(

And I just saw him in the paddock yesterday :cry:

RHR_Fan
03-26-06, 04:33 PM
ABC showed it. Glad I turned my head.

I have some friends down in Homestead for the race (they know people in Grand-Am and IRL) and they saw some of the crash. I don't know how much the 7-year old saw, but I hope she didn't see any of it. She could have gone home, but she is choosing to stay to keep her driver friends safe.

~Nicole

Insomniac
03-26-06, 04:42 PM
It's very sad when anyone dies doing what they love, and especially just to entertain us. Always reminds us how dangerous the sport is. RIP. :(

JohnHKart
03-26-06, 04:51 PM
Just woke up and flipped to the coverage of Homestead I am recording for later. I had no idea which Paul they were talking about for a few minutes, just very sad.

John

rabbit
03-26-06, 05:03 PM

cameraman
03-26-06, 05:07 PM

TRDfan
03-26-06, 05:14 PM
My heart goes out to his family and the entire racing community.

Hard Driver
03-26-06, 05:16 PM
A real shame. I hate to be the first to say it, but it looks like a rookie mistake that he failed to slow so that he could take avoiding action. Supposidly the yellow lights were on and his spotter told him about the yellow. A real shame that a small mistake cost him his life. :(

emjaya
03-26-06, 06:22 PM

JoeBob
03-26-06, 07:03 PM
A real shame. I hate to be the first to say it, but it looks like a rookie mistake that he failed to slow so that he could take avoiding action. Supposidly the yellow lights were on and his spotter told him about the yellow. A real shame that a small mistake cost him his life. :(

I don't think it is as simple. If you watch the replay slowly, there was a car that went by on the high side right before Dana came through, and another right afterwards (one that was probably alongside Dana, but lifted when the yellow lights went on.) I suspect that Paul knew Carpenter was low, but initially had no place to go high.

Rather than slam on the brakes and risk losing control and/or getting rear ended, he kept his foot in it and tried to thread the needle. Last year at Homestead, someone (Carpenter?) slamming on their brakes and being rear-ended turned a small incident into The Big One.

It was a split second decision, and he almost made it. Would a veteran have made another decision? It probably depends on who the Veteran is.

These things happen, and hopefully lessons will be learned.

Fio1
03-26-06, 07:47 PM
So sad. R.I.P :cry:

CART T. Katz
03-26-06, 07:48 PM
this upsets me to no end. i just got in from work and read about this on the bottom line and asked my dad about this. he says he got t-boned. and the fact that this all could have been prevented from some simple design changes that have long since been needed and known about and that these changes are actively refused to be put in practice makes me even more angry. zanardi got t-boned and lost his legs 5 years ago. what ever happened to those 5 years in safety development in that area? also what is this, three deaths in that equipment and three serious injuries/fatalities in the last three years?

but i seriously wonder about how much head management cares. sure a racer died during the weekend, but they got their "trademark" close finish they all kill for, pun is not intended. :shakehead and yes, i am that cynical to believe that, because past actions have shown that they aren't all that interested in seriously looking into driver safety.

godspeed paul, anton the blood is on your hands. :flame:

Accipiter
03-26-06, 07:51 PM
****. :(

JoeBob
03-26-06, 07:53 PM
CTK,
Dana wasn't T-Boned, Carpenter was. Dana went head-on into the left rear tire of Carpenter's car.

Racing Truth
03-26-06, 07:56 PM
this upsets me to no end. i just got in from work and read about this on the bottom line and asked my dad about this. he says he got t-boned. and the fact that this all could have been prevented from some simple design changes that have long since been needed and known about and that these changes are actively refused to be put in practice makes me even more angry. zanardi got t-boned and lost his legs 5 years ago. what ever happened to those 5 years in safety development in that area? also what is this, three deaths in that equipment and three serious injuries/fatalities in the last three years?

but i seriously wonder about how much head management cares. sure a racer died during the weekend, but they got their "trademark" close finish they all kill for, pun is not intended. :shakehead and yes, i am that cynical to believe that, because past actions have shown that they aren't all that interested in seriously looking into driver safety.

Many IRL crashes could, IMHO, been prevented or mitigated. Not this one though, not this one.

BTW: Much as he annoys me, Wheldon was all class afterward. His owner, OTOH... :shakehead

jonovision_man
03-26-06, 08:05 PM

Before you make those kinds of accusations/conclusions, maybe watch the crash.

I don't see how this was avoidable in any car. It was an accident that no car on the planet could have withstood.

jono

Spicoli
03-26-06, 08:17 PM
I found it really ironic listening to the last few laps on the radio in my car, they "scored" Dana 19th, Carpenter 20th.

WHY? :shakehead I dunno, after letting it sink in, its seems stupid. Why bother? He's opbviously not gonna ned or collect those points? (note to haters, i would say the same thing in CCWS or F1, so stfu)

TravelGal
03-26-06, 08:34 PM
I found it really ironic listening to the last few laps on the radio in my car, they "scored" Dana 19th, Carpenter 20th.

Didn't show that way on the screen. Dana was never listed. At least not that I saw but I'll admit I only saw the first 2 laps and the last 10.

RT, agreed Wheldon was really well done.

Spicoli
03-26-06, 08:42 PM
Didn't show that way on the screen. Dana was never listed. At least not that I saw but I'll admit I only saw the first 2 laps and the last 10.

RT, agreed Wheldon was really well done.

edit: nevermind, I have nothing good to say about WIBC.

Racing Truth
03-26-06, 08:48 PM
Robin (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/22748/) :shakehead

Not that he's wrong, but could you let his poor wife BURY him before you say he had no business being out there?

Could have, SHOULD have waited. :thumdown:

CART T. Katz
03-26-06, 08:55 PM

Not that he's wrong, but could you let his poor wife BURY him before you say he had no business being out there?

if he submits it later after things cool down a little bit, then there is the possibility that there will be a lot of anger directed at rahal and whoever it is who approves drivers to race in that league. at least if this hits now, very few people are going to take notice which is probably best all things considered.

speaking of that article, you think aj gave robin that quote?

Racing Truth
03-26-06, 08:58 PM
if he submits it later after things cool down a little bit, then there is the possibility that there will be a lot of anger directed at rahal and whoever it is who approves drivers to race in that league. at least if this hits now, very few people are going to take notice which is probably best all things considered.

For one, ride-buyers exist in both, and Dana wasn't the worst of them. As for AJ, could be.

Either way, tact would suggest waiting.

pchall
03-26-06, 09:19 PM
edit: nevermind, I have nothing good to say about WIBC.

I wonder if IBC and the IMS radio network were just reading from IRL Timing & Scoring:

17 Danica Patrick (16) DNS
18 Buddy Rice (15) DNS
19 Paul Dana (17) DNS
20 Ed Carpenter (200) DNS

That's how they had the four cars listed from the time the grid came up just before the start. They seem to have been listed by relative qualifying positions.

theunions
03-26-06, 10:17 PM

Some others have suggested Uncle Bobby, which wouldn't be surprising...as for AJ, he'd be one to talk having personally employed Scott Mayer, Shig, etc.

dando
03-26-06, 10:30 PM

Sorry, but it's noteworthy, and a deserved critique of the current state of affairs in OW racing. Hopefully statements like this will keep another inexperienced ride buyer from making a fatal mistake in May.

-Kevin

Spicoli
03-26-06, 10:36 PM
Wonder if TG has bagged his appearance on Windbag? Michaelin was on pimpin LBGP and RM lettin it go with the Dana Report.

I can absolutely see why TG wouldn;t be there, just wonderin if they said soemthing i didn;t hear so far about Tg baggin it.

theunions
03-26-06, 11:37 PM
Michaelian was a done deal for some time - I hadn't heard about TG being a scheduled guest. Not that I was paying close attention.

matthole
03-26-06, 11:51 PM
Wonder if TG has bagged his appearance on Windbag? Michaelin was on pimpin LBGP and RM lettin it go with the Dana Report.

I can absolutely see why TG wouldn;t be there, just wonderin if they said soemthing i didn;t hear so far about Tg baggin it.

I don't think he was going to be on windbag. Robin taped an interview with him on the merger junk on saturday, they showed a little of it on speed news last night & said more of it would be on today. I didn't catch the entire speed news hour today so I don't know if they showed it.

race chica
03-28-06, 01:23 AM
RIP