PDA

View Full Version : Autoweek: de Ferran to retire?

rabbit
03-31-03, 02:40 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00408212

:cry: I really, truly despise the IRL.

JoeBob
03-31-03, 02:45 PM
Penske has a teleconference with de Ferran scheduled for this afternoon.

RaceGrrl
03-31-03, 02:56 PM
His retirement gifts are a neck and back brace. Nice.

Jag_Warrior
03-31-03, 03:05 PM
A fine fellow, who didn't get involved in the politics of this sad affair. If true, I wish him nothing but luck and good fortune into the future. :thumbup:

sundaydriver
03-31-03, 03:09 PM
My guess is that Gil retires after Indy 498. Gil is great guy and is smart. I think he enjoys his family more then racing which is why he will retire. Just a guess though.

pchall
03-31-03, 03:12 PM
Better to get out now after being knocked unconscious twice in major IRL hits than press on to Troy Aikman territory.

Enjoy the rest of your life, GdF. We'll miss your talent.

JoeBob
03-31-03, 03:15 PM
According to a post at TF, during the teleconference he said that he has no plans to retire.

Railbird
03-31-03, 04:01 PM
Short hand version:

He'll be back in the car when he feels 100%

Doesn't see anybody out there better than him and will continue as long as he feels that way.

Races because he enjoys it, not to collect this or that win.

Mikey was being the predictable dick that he always has been.

cart7
03-31-03, 04:05 PM
Does this mean the IRL will test him against his "Baseline" to see if he's degraded in any way?

I'd hate to see Gil running around like Steve Park, dimmed reflexes and constantly crashing.

nrc
03-31-03, 04:31 PM
I thought Gil had already retired.

(ie: wrong forum)

Gurneyflap
03-31-03, 07:12 PM
If he DOES retire, Penske buys Hornish to replace him!

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
If he DOES retire, Penske buys Hornish to replace him!

Well, there's a reason Hornish hasn't resigned with Panther... look at all the CART teams who might be wanting to hire.

I mean, as long as he doesn't go all Greg Ray - keeps being the best of the Chevies - his stock will remain high...

Chaos
03-31-03, 07:28 PM
Hornish is Chevy's only chance of success. If he goes, does chevy as well?

Anyway, more ChampCar related, if you were an owner would you put DeFerran in your car?

Don Quixote
03-31-03, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Chaos
Anyway, more ChampCar related, if you were an owner would you put DeFerran in your car?

I was just thinking about this from an ethics standpoint. It is similar to the question relating to a football team owner and a head injured qb such as Aikman. Many sidestep this issue and say, "if the doctors say its ok for him to play, then we will play him". But, if you ask enough doctors sooner or later you will find one that says he's good to go, just like you could find a doctor that would say smoking is not hazardous to your health. If I was a team owner I would not play Aikman, or race DeFerran. Its just not worth it to risk a man's life for a game.

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Chaos
Hornish is Chevy's only chance of success. If he goes, does chevy as well?

I'd like to see Buddy Rice in a better seat... I think he would help the Chevy cause.

RichK
03-31-03, 08:55 PM
The IRL SUCKS.

Gurneyflap
04-01-03, 08:42 PM
Gil back to CART?...No.

Peter Venkman
04-01-03, 09:55 PM
"Well, there's a reason Hornish hasn't resigned with Panther... look at all the CART teams who might be wanting to hire."

Hornish would be at home at the back of the pack in CART.

MOre brave than talented, but with relatively poor road racing credentials.

pchall
04-01-03, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Peter Venkman

MOre brave than talented, but with relatively poor road racing credentials.

More stupid than brave, and a real concern at any Turn 1, Lap 1.