PDA

View Full Version : Settling a car crash

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 11:48 AM
Anyone have any advice?

I know what figure I need to pay my insurance company (they've paid all the medical bills). That's not negotiable in any way shape or form.

I know the costs we incurred - loss of stuff, basically. I'd like to get that back too.

So I've got the number (the sum of the above two) in my head. Do I just round up and tell them that's what I want, or do I start high and work down?

Turn7
03-31-03, 01:03 PM
I would think that you should report the value of the items that need to be claimed, nothing more. If you start adding all sorts of invalid prices and items then that could be considered fraud.

However, the insurance company may try to not allow certian items that you claim or reduce the cost, ect. If you have given honest answers to the claim then hold to your guns and don't accept partial compensation. I wouldn't inflate or falsify claim though.

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 01:15 PM
The question becomes - what is reasonable pain & suffering?

I'd figure $800 with medical bills/property damage of almost $30K is reasonable, especially when we missed two days of work & both had to undergo minor post-accident therapy afterwards.

Turn7
03-31-03, 01:33 PM
O.K. I see what you are getting at.

I was told that most insurance companies will dish out up to 5 grand in personal injury claims without going to court. I would definatly ask for more than 800 if that is your goal.

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 02:05 PM
I don't feel like holding them up for the maximum just for kicks.

I mean, I can use the cash elsewhere (who couldn't?) but I've never been involved in a "pain & suffering" claim.

I wouldn't feel right getting one of those million dollar jury awards like some of those people.

(Though I'd get used to it, I suppose. ;) )

RichK
03-31-03, 02:58 PM
HERE (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873378342/qid=1049137035/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-0654633-2943125?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) is an EXCELLENT book regarding personal injury claims.

Napoleon
03-31-03, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
The question becomes - what is reasonable pain & suffering?

I'll check around with my "sources" but I believe the rule of thumb is P&S is 3 times your medicals.

RichK
03-31-03, 05:23 PM
Nappy, that's about what the book I quoted above says. The multiplier varies depending on the severity of the pain/suffering, but they said 3X is the starting point.

Ziggy
03-31-03, 06:48 PM
I know your brilliant and all, but I think I would rather get a lawyer than 10 guys on an internet board's thoughts.

and I am concerned.....

Wanker

Ziggy

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
I know your brilliant and all, but I think I would rather get a lawyer than 10 guys on an internet board's thoughts.

and I am concerned.....

Wanker

Ziggy

I can't think of anything to say in response that wouldn't make me the first person to get booted from OC, so I guess I'll just have to thank you for your concern.

Though I wonder why you bothered to even share it, if you're going to take out your personal dislike for me through it.

Why not just send your cute little comments to me via private e-mail or PM and spare the rest of OC your crusade?

Huh?

DaveL
03-31-03, 07:38 PM
One question: Was Greg Ray or Todd Bodine involved in this accident?

Ziggy
03-31-03, 08:16 PM
because what goes around comes around monkeyboy

glad your OK

I did make the mistake of emailing you one time, several years ago. I have not felt the need to waste my time since. I did respond to a largly pompas letter, in kind, on another occasion. Dont give yourself too much credit (I know in your case it's hard)

No, back to chasing the ambulance....

Ziggy

PS - Next time you need personal advice, I think you should go the PM route. There are several lawyers on this board

mnkywrch
03-31-03, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
because what goes around comes around monkeyboy

What on earth are you talking about?

I haven't killed anyone.

I haven't stolen anything from anyone.

I haven't punched anyone.

It's an INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD and we have DIFFERING OPINIONS.

All you keep hollering about is how I can't support both CART & the IRL. Well, guess what, I have, I do, and I will. I don't see it as a reason to randomly heckle someone across three message boards (Speednet, 7G, and OC). You obviously do.

Ya know, there's plenty of posters who don't agree with each other and don't like each other on plenty of message boards, but at least they can act like adults towards each other.